Developing authentic Christ-centered relationships through diverse intergenerational community
The faith community at Church of the Good Shepherd is best described as a family. We love to gather together to sing, pray, laugh, cry, share, serve and of course, eat! Our liturgy also has elements that connect us with our partners in ministry such as our friends at the Santiago Partnership, the Pregnancy Resource Center, and the Church Without Walls in Stateville Correction Center. Here is a list of a few of the times we gather as a church family.
2437 Plainfield Road
Joliet, Illinois 60435
Sunday: 9:30am Sunday School / 10:30am Service
Wednesday: 7:00-8:30pm ESL, Journey, & Homework Helpers
We strive to prioritize the care of vulnerable people in our community. For this reason, we have made a commitment to continue to serve those who are unable or unready to attend in-person services through hosting a Facebook live of our service every week. Many of our ministries also have online and hybrid ways to engage. If you are feeling isolated or in need of connection, please reach out. We are here for you.
To attend a service virtually just click on the link below, we will go live every Sunday at 10:30am!
We are very intentional about making connections across the generations. We love to worship together as a whole church family. While we have activity bags to keep little hands busy, children are involved in various aspects of our Sunday liturgy. Not only do we incorporate actions into some of the worship songs, children participate as readers, musicians, AV and hospitality team.
We also have several, age-specific groups throughout the week. We work deliberately to make all ages know they are part of the church body.
For nearly 150 years our church has conducted a ministry in the Joliet area. The congregation was first organized on August 10, 1873 as the Swedish Mission Church. In 1881 a church building was erected on Clay Street and for many years served as the center of the ministry.
On December 10, 1939 the American Sunday School Union began a ministry among the children in the Richland area which eventually became known as the Six Corners Chapel. This ministry was turned over to the Evangelical Covenant Church in 1957 and became a ministry of outreach for the denomination and the church on Clay Street, now named First Covenant Church of Joliet. The new ministry in the Richland area took the name of Calvary Covenant Church and in 1962 erected the present church structure located at 2437 Plainfield Road, Joliet, Illinois.
On May 17, 1970 Calvary Covenant Church and First Covenant Church merged to become Church of the Good Shepherd Evangelical Covenant Church.
“A great community where we do life together. I go there to worship, to encourage, and to be encouraged.”